The Canadian Payroll Association provides numerous valuable resources, some free and some for their paid members. Here’s a list of what you can find at payroll.ca.
Free Payroll Resources
- 2020 Year-end & New Year Requirements Checklist — A popular reference sheet to help keep you on track for a smooth year-end.
- New Hire Checklist — Customize your list of action items for employment in your organization.
- Termination Checklist — A valuable summary of payroll-related actions for employer-initiated terminations.
- Payroll Terminology — A useful tool to help you stay current with payroll terminology, find appropriate terms to create effective policies and procedures, and become a more effective communicator.
- Payroll Compliance Tests — Find out how much you know. Take the quizzes that accompany our Payroll Best Practices Guidelines (essential self-service compliance tools to support you in your payroll duties).
- PCP Visitor Centre – Is PCP Certification for you? Visit the free PCP Visitor’s Centre to find out! Get a firsthand look at the newly designed online Learning Management System and learn more about how PCP certification can benefit you.
- Record of Employment Guide from Service Canada (PDF)
Payroll Forms & Checklists
- Sample CPP/QPP Memo for Employees
- Legislative Compliance Rates Sheet — Mission-critical compliance information such as payroll-related rates, maximums and deadlines. (Member benefit)
- Private Health Services Plans — Get information about coding, tax treatment and more. (Member benefit)
- Record of Employment Information Sheet — Instructions you can share with employees. (Member benefit)
- Retiring Allowance Transfer Form — Refer to this form when transferring a retiring allowance to an RRSP or an RPP. (Member benefit)
- Vacation Request Template — A useful tool when scheduling vacations. (Member benefit)
- Minimum Wage Updates — Be prepared for rate changes (Member benefit)
- Request for Payroll Payment (PDF) (Member benefit)
- Request for Payroll Payment Background and Explanation (PDF) (Member benefit)
- WCB Assessable Earnings Chart (PDF) (Member benefit)
- Detailed Vacationable Earnings Chart (PDF) (Member benefit)
Payroll Tools & Calculators
- CPP Decision Tool — Is your employee subject to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) changes brought forth by Bill C-51? (Member benefit)
- Termination Calculator — Figure out payments when terminating an employee. (Member benefit)
- SIN Verification Tool — Find out if your new employee’s social insurance number is valid. (Member benefit)
COVID-19 Related Resources
- Attestation Regarding Work-from-Home Expenses for the 2020 Tax Year (Memo for your employees) (Word)
- 2020 Tax Year and Work From Home Expenses (Memo for your employees) (Word)
- T2200 FAQ (PDF)
- Payroll and COVID-19 – Questions and Answers from the Payroll Infoline (ROE and Leaves of Absence)
- COVID-19 – Most Frequently Asked Questions from Payroll Infoline (CERB, 10% Temporary Wage Subsidy, etc.,)
- Layoff Notice Required Before Termination Pre and Post COVID-19
- Workers Compensation Premiums and COVID-19
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) Summary
- CEWS Calculator (Excel)
- How to use the CEWS Calculator
If you are not already a member of the Canadian Payroll Association we encourage you to consider it. Their resources are excellent.